Late Monday Motivational - Simple route to ACCOMPLISHMENT

12:47 Melka 0 Comments

I did my 6 mile  Sport Relief 2014 run yesterday but my actual challenge started the day before. With so many things to catch up with in the evening, early night plan went through the window, my lucky running pants were still rotting in the laundry basket and a slight worry of not being fully healthy (achilles heel strain) for the race creeped into my head. All these circumstances lead to a big nightmare race when I finally got to bed.



In the  morning...
With half open eyes, I got myself ready for the race, my favourite running pants dry and fresh (Phew!) waiting to be pulled on. Coffee, twitter update...mail checking, more google+ update, and off we go with my laid back friend who subscribed us for this whole venture. It's not that I was a nervous wreck but my running buddy was so annoyingly calm, there was nothing else for me but to accept this state of  pre-race bliss. 

Race in progress.. 
We were at half way point, 3 miles done exactly, when I realised, there was no pro super fast athlete in front of me to stick behind, my energy levels still high, no anxiety, no tiredness, no worries in my head. I also realised, I have done this so many times before, those 6mile runs, 10, 12 milers - for myself, by myself, no admiring supporters cheering on. I took the lead.

Crossing the finishing line as the WINNER
I won it with clocking the average 43minutes 30seconds finish time. I stood next to my fighter friend Omar who came second by a pin head distance (he was the more competitive side of our team)  and we were happy, simply and with no bells and whistles around, just enjoyed the moment of  ACCOMPLISHMENT. We ran 6 miles to help disadvantaged children and we ran it with pleasure (a little less pleasure for my friend, more lung pain here :)).


Those moments of accomplishment are the magic everyone of us lives for, whatever discipline us humans choose to be good at, on professional or personal level, we strive for that second or two when we can truly feel  we achieved something - not big, not life changing even at this time but something that creates a bigger deal later, in my case, 

The moral ot the tale...
This ACCOMPLISMENT HOWEVER WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE without one FACT- it was  EVERYDAY BABY STEPS I chose to take towards becoming a runner. My everyday choice of keeping fit, doing the training was a straight route to ACHIEVING my little success that Sunday morning. 
My anxious pre- race state will from now on be replaced by confidence.


Dear Readers
Make sure you are in charge today of your tomorrow's achievement.

p.s. Special thank you for Mrs Abdulgani who cheered us throughout the whole race, and to my amazing mam, dad, my sister and her husband for the distant support. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments: